Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for Museum

"I want to see a Mommy."
These were my son's words to me when he woke up yesterday morning.
"What?" I asked.  "I'm right here."
"No," he said. "I want to see a dead Mommy."
I soon realized that he meant to say mummy and became anxious.  I don't mind his enthusiasm for ancient human remains (in fact I encourage it) but the only Egyptian exhibit that I know of is at the Royal Ontario Museum.  In Toronto.  I considered it.  I even went so far as to visit the ROM's website. Then, I thought of taking the offspring to the big city, without a supporting adult, riding public transit, and herding them, exhausted, through the museum, and my lazy node turned on in my brain.

So I didn't go. I checked my e-mail.  I checked facebook.  I put away some laundry.  I talked on the phone.  I made lunch.  At around 1:30, I got the idea of going to the Children's Museum in Hamilton instead.  I checked their hours.  They close at 3:30.  Forget it, thought I, by the time we got there they'd only have an hour to play.  Then a minute later I thought, I'm going anyway, they'll have a whole hour to play. Besides, there's a park outside.

William had a mini-fit when he realized we weren't going to the "Toronto Museum with the bat cave" but once he was there he and his sister had a good time.  Will's favourite activity was playing with the plastic pipes.  You can velcro them to the wall, in different configurations, and then send a ball through them.  The boy is a natural engineer.  Jadzia wore an ill-fitting fairy princess gown and told everyone how pretty she was.  They both served me a plastic meal at the pretend diner. Before we knew it the museum was closing, so I corralled the offspring out the door.  They played in the park for a half-hour afterwards.  It was such a gorgeous sunny day.

No dead Mommy, but one very tired one.


3 comments:

Siobhan said...

I hear you about being a tired mommy. I'm exhausted these days!

thelmaz said...

Your post reminds me of the third grade class in a school I visit. They had an important visitor the morning they were to visit the King Tut exhibit. He asked them what they knew about King Tut and one of the kids said, "He's wrapped in toilet paper."

Stopping by from the Challenge. Enjoyed your post. Hope you'll visit back.

nutschell said...

haha. dead mommy! hope you get to visit more museums!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Happy A-Zing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...