Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I've been busy playing transformers

It amazes me that a child who watches nothing but Treehouse and Pixar movies can develop an obsession with guns and transformers.  That's what I get for letting him navigate youtube from the age of 2.

Other than requests for snacks and computer time, William's number one request is "Can you please play Transformers with me?"

This game can take two forms:

1.  We are the Transformers.  We make guns out of megabloks and fire them at each other.  Pshew! Pshew! If, at any time, William perceives my gun to be cooler than his, then he says "How about I be that gun and you be this gun?"  Sometimes Jadzia gets in on the action.  My 19-month old knows that duplo bricks make a "pshew" sound, although she tends to hold the guns backwards.   "Transforming" usually involves lying face down on the floor with your lego gun on your head and saying something like "I'm transformed into a tank!"  I've given up discouraging gun use and now just join in and enjoy his rather creative and complicated gun building.  He often has two or three gun turrets and a lazer (a red brick) and often uses the tread tracks from his excavator to make a tank.

2. The Hotwheels are the Transformers.  Who needs a complicated transforming toy when you can just stand any toy car up on its rear bumper to have it "transform" into robot mode?  Due to a life-long car obsession, my 3-and-a-half-year old's Hotwheels collection is very extensive.  They can be found in every room in our house (including the bathroom and inside the car).  When we play Transformers we usually stand the cars up and have them shoot at each other, then transform to car mode and race around the train table (a surface that's only rarely used for trains).  I'm usually allowed to pick my own car for this game, but again, if I happen to pick one that looks cooler than the one William has chosen, he'll take it from me and give me a boring minivan or something.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my son has just handed me a lego gun and informed me "We are playing transformers so we are going to need guns."

2 comments:

Columbia Thorndale said...

Well of course you would need a gun. Transformers. Robots in disguise horrifying. Defend us! You are such a fun Mom

Super Happy Jen said...

The original Megatron transformed into a fairly realistic looking toy gun. William would just love that, but he was born a few decades too late.

Song in head "Autobots wage a battle to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons..." So catchy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...