Saturday, January 10, 2009

My attempt at relaxation

Both of my children were asleep when my husband left for work (even though I reminded him that it's Saturday night and definitely not business hours). Imagining that I might have some time to myself, I decided to try out the relaxing oatmeal bath stuff I recently received as a gift.

I like my baths as hot as I can stand and as deep as can they be without overflowing. Unfortunately, the design of our faucet is such that water pressure diminishes as the heat increases. Usually I just let it run while I go do something else.

I set the water temperature to reasonably scalding, dumped in the oatmeal packet (which made the water look muddy), and left the bathroom with ambitions of doing laundry (or something). Just then I heard Jadzia crying.

I took her from her crib and began nursing her. We were sitting on the rocking chair in her bedroom and I could hear the water running across the hall. After a while I started to get nervous. What if the bath had filled up already? I could flood the whole house in scalding oatmeal water!

So I grabbed my daughter in one hand and grabbed her infant carseat in the other, and headed back to the bathroom. I figured I would nurse her while sitting on the toilet, then I would put her in her carseat so she could be near me while I bathed.

So my relaxing bath went something like this:

nurse baby
baby falls asleep
put baby in carseat
dip toe into scalding oatmeal bath
baby cries
pick baby up
repeat

I did eventually get more than my toe into the water. I lay in the relaxing bath for a good minute, maybe a minute and a half. It was very hot and very deep.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...