Friday, February 04, 2005

Star Trek is ending.

I'm bummed.

This has been coming for a while. Now it's official.

The Paramount Gods have decreed that there shall be no new episodes of Enterprise after this season ends in May. This means that next year will be the first year without new Star Trek episodes since The Next Generation premiered in September 1987, a month and a half before my eighth birthday.

I remember watching the show with my brother when we were kids. If one of us missed an episode, the other would make up a puppet show telling the other what happened. I remember my sister and I having fights over whether we would watch Star Trek: The Next Generation or Full House. (She recalls kicking me in the face over it). I now watch the new episodes of Enterprise with my 3-year-old-nephew.

I had hoped he would grow up with Star Trek the way I did. More importantly, I'd hoped I would one day be able to watch new Star Trek episodes with my children.

Star Trek has been a part of my life for over eighteen years. I am the token Star Trek fan in my circle of friends. They know it means more to me than just a show.

Perhaps Paramount will make more Trek movies now (though rumour has it Nemesis didn't do that well). Better yet, maybe they'll come up with a new Trek series by the time my nephew turns eight. Paramount: you have until 2010.

Otherwise Star Trek will live on in:
Re-runs
DVDs
Paperbacks
Comic books
Fan Fiction
Message Boards
Our hearts


4 comments:

Becca said...

With heartfelt condolences,


Remember that your
loss is shared
by many friends who care
and that you're in our
thoughts and hearts
and in our every prayer

It will be the little things
that you will remember
the quiet moments, the smiles,
the laughter.
And although it may
seem hard right now,
it will be the memory
of these little things
that help to push away the pain
and bring the smiles back again

Requiem for Spock
written by Harve Bennett & Jack B. Sowards
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Captain James T. Kirk:

We are gathered here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. But it should be noted that this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most...[chokes on his words, trying not to cry]...human.

Demnos said...

I just heard the news a couple of days ago. I saw a press release of some kind that stated that they were discontinuing the Enterprise series but that they had high hopes of another series coming along at some point in time. They didn't really say anything conclusive though.

I donated a few bucks to the cause over at http://www.enterprisefans.com. Anyone who reads this should do the same. :-)

zydeco fish said...

I think that they ought to get back to basics and make a Next Next Generation. It was the best of the new Trek and wasn't handicapped by being lost in the delta quadrant (with nary a Klingon in site) or confined to a space station, or getting stuck in prequel land, which necessitates making everything look older or bulkier.

scifirantergirl said...

Love your site and I'm bummed too. There's always BSG. It's really good too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...